To my Dear Cousin as She Awaits the Birth of her First Child

Since your mother is no longer with you on this earth and you have no older sisters, I feel as if I might be the one that can impart to you some wisdom on motherhood before your little one arrives.  I say these words in complete love and reverence of the role of motherhood.  I share my experience with you because I feel like mothers need to be truthful with each other.

Before I begin, I share with you a blessing...because we're Irish and Irish folk recite blessings and toasts, but today we're not drinking... we're serious. :)  This blessing is my own.  

"May the wisdom, strength and courage of all the mothers that have come before you be instilled in you today and every day as you walk in the footsteps of the mother you are to be.  Know that your love is felt by all children and your hopes, dreams, and tears for your child will help to form their being.  Never is there a more significant role than mother.  You are ready for the joys.  May your home be blessed.  May your child know how deep your love runs.  May the experience be an adventure filled with many unexpected turns.  Children will teach you.  May you be open to receive their teachings."

Yikes...  just typing up that blessing, I am lost with the amount of things I want to share with you!  I guess I just start!  OK so, I must hand it to you, you are SMART to start having children later in life.  You know yourself much better and have been chillin' with your main best bud for so long that you will have a great advantage there.  I must say though that this will rock your world. I'm sending another blessing right now for a very smooth birthing process.  Focused breathing really helps.  Do you have a yoga practice?  Maybe you could start one now... :)  Be prepared for everything I guess... or nothing.. and just roll with the punches.  Puking was my forte on the first birth... it happens and sometimes they even run out of barf bags.  

The best part about delivering a child I found is that it's ALL YOU... maybe for the first time in your life YOU are the only person that can give birth to this child!  What a blessing!  What an honor!  You can bear down (not really knowing what this means until quite a few pushes into it) and know that all of your efforts are what is getting this baby out of your womb.  But you know, you can always ask for help from every mother that ever was.  Your Mom will be with you that day.  She wouldn't miss this!  Ask for her strength.  Know that it's yours.

You will bleed.  You will bleed for a long time possibly, but it will end.  Soak your bottom in warm baths... it's a nice time to relax as well.  Pay no attention to the floating pieces of skin in the bath water... it will go down the drain eventually.  OH and use those wound healing gels to keep your nipples moist so they don't crack and bleed.

Ugh... and I'm still at the birth... I have so much else to say about raising little ones!  Ok.. I will try to be brief and concise.  Believe in your intuition.  If you feel like you need to do something some way, do it that way.  You know what's best for YOU and for your baby.  Stand your ground Dear One.  You are Mother Bear now and a force to be respected.

Gadgets come and go... you really don't need much.  Keep it simple.  Invest in vacations rather than fancy strollers. :)  Nursing is amazing if it works.  Your body will never be the same, but Mommy bodies rock!  Skin can REALLY stretch and that's a good thing!  

Babies and kids are pure love.  Bask in it.  Return to it.  Know that this is our ideal state.  Snuggle all you want! Teach your kids the importance of loving touch.  We ALL need that so much!

OH there are many more things I could say, but I just want you to know that motherhood is so many things to so many people.  I hope for you that it's an adventure in expanding your love to a new generation.  Call out to any Mom at any time... in spirit of course... for advice.  If you listen, you will hear.  And if you don't like the advice, do what you will! :)  

I salute you New Mom.  I bless your experience.  I bless you with feminine knowing.  Go out and nurture the world!  EE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Fun Look Like?

What do I want to BE? What do I want to DO?

Cycle of Downturns - a Poem