Lessons of Love

Momma Bear Paw
Single Mom here... doing my thing, making sure my 3 kids have what they need which sometimes means, mittens/hats/boots delivered to school after children are dropped off, buying ANOTHER pair of pink ballet slippers for program photos because they have gone missing, and running over to Dad's house for that well-loved blanket for snuggling.... AND filling my 'free' weekend up with sleepover birthday parties with far away friends.

At first I didn't want to take on the request of a 3 hour drive and a night of having the young ladies keeping me up, but I saw in my daughter's eyes how she really longed to see her friends whom she hadn't seen in months.  Then I decided the planning with the parent (who is a newly married ex-boyfriend) and the time out of my schedule was a service that I would love to do for my daughter.

I asked her what she wanted to eat for dinner on Friday night and Saturday morning and what she wanted to do for activities (movie and bowling).  I figured out the timing with the 3 hour round trip to return them home.  Then I jumped into the flow of service.

I set the table.  I made the meals,  I did the dishes.  I listened to the girls. I learned about how their lives have been since I had been around them.  I learned that one of them had started her period and I happily welcomed her to womanhood.  Listening to their life now with new step-mom and parents not in alignment with custody, I realized that serving these girls was my gift to them... even if for only 24 hours.

By deciding to be of service to my daughter, I also was able to give her friends, two sisters, a bit of relief from the environment of their home.  They received time away where they could play without worries.

Service is always great choice.  This is my lesson of love.
EE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Fun Look Like?

What do I want to BE? What do I want to DO?

Cycle of Downturns - a Poem