My Daughter My Teacher

the First
I have been blessed with 3 lovely children.  The first two were pretty much the ideal children.... developed physically right on time or early, learned quickly, listened to direction, gave big hugs, behaved in church (this is important to my parents... :)), are loved by teachers, and shine brightly.  And then (I remember actually saying this), I decided I wanted a little more chaos.... and along came my little teacher.

Oh, I learned a LOT about being a Mom from my first two
the Second
kids; about self-sacrifice and complete dedication, but I didn't really learn about communication, unconditional love, and breaking through boundaries until I was challenged to do so.  I snuggled with her more than I did the others.  I felt the warmth in her heart more deeply.  I wasn't as concerned with goals and bed times and the 'right' way to be a parent.  I let go of the reins. 

What did this do for me?  For one, it got me a second appointment with the kindergarten screening people as she refused to wear the headphones to take the hearing test.  I wasn't about to make her and I wasn't embarrassed by her actions.  She was exercising her will.  I was proud of her actually even though I did try to get her to take the tests.  She watched about 4 other little kids sit down, put the headphones on and raise their hand, but she wasn't going to do it.  I LOVE IT!  She is not swayed by the flock.  :)
the Third

For two, it helped me to realize that I am not in control and that I am a guide for my children.... simply the bumpers that line their path.  I encourage their intuition.  I encourage their interests even if they are not familiar to me.  We learn together.  What a ride!  She's making me a better Mom for ALL of my kids.  Oh the love!


Comments

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. I am so blessed to have such an amazing mom, friend, teacher, and guide in my life. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sweets! It's making me BAWL right now myself as I haven't seen them in over a week and won't see them for a few more!!!! :) <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Fun Look Like?

What do I want to BE? What do I want to DO?

Cycle of Downturns - a Poem