Adventure and Service - Quite the Combo!

Oops had a bit of a hiatus on the blog.  :)  I did write some nice entries into my notebook journal though because sometimes you just can't publish some of the personal things you want to get out. :)  Alas I'm back and I have a REALLY good one today.. brought to me by Mr. Brian Johnson at entheos.

I'm loving my daily emails from entheos!  This one is SO nice and concise (I've been reading kid books lately with lots of rhyming rhythms.... :))

http://www.entheos.com/ideas/steve-chandler/1931/but-the-service-must-be-profound?c=3673
Here's the text:
**********************************************************************************
This sounds like an ADVENTURE! :)
Years ago while floundering in the throes of alcoholism and addiction my life was changed dramatically by the guru/philosopher/jester Alan Watts.
     In his 1951 book The Wisdom of Insecurity he dramatically demonstrated that my search for a feeling of security is what was causing the feeling of insecurity in the first place. (!)
      The essence of life is change, FLUX and impermanence, and "if I want to be secure, that is, protected from the flux of life, I am wanting to be separate from life," he wrote. "Yet it is this very sense of separateness which makes me feel insecure... in other words, the more security I can get, the more I shall want."
     I replaced the desire for security with a desire for adventure and a quest for PROFOUND SERVICE of others, and the whole picture turned around.
*********************************************************************************

Desire adventure and profound service of others... or have kids and you'll get just that! :)

We decided this was one of the BEST!
Speaking of kids and service to others, we had a Girl Scout meeting on Saturday and we had planned to visit a nursing home because I think it's important to respect our elders and be comfortable around them, whatever their capacity may be, but we never got around to planning the visit... oops.  INSTEAD we made sunshine pictures for our grandparents or elderly neighbors.  The girls loved it and my two other kids also joined in on the sunshine activity, even over playing Mario on the DS.  What I enjoyed the most though was that we only had 5 girls there and that allowed for each girl to have more time to express during our meeting.  BOY did they ever!

We were talking about REALLY listening to our friends when they talk.... like putting imaginary duct tape on our mouths and letting them go until they are done.  One of the girls then said this:  'Sometimes I don't feel human.  I feel like I'm from space.  I feel really light'.  The next girl then chimed in, 'Yes I feel like nothing.'  And the third, 'Everything disintegrates and I'm just left seeing my thoughts.'

WOW!  What a blessing that was that they decided to share that with me!  I can't imagine that's easy to share because it would seem like it's abnormal and could get them ridiculed, but the fact that three of them shared this with us was amazing to me!  I asked a few questions about when this happens and if it happens a lot, but we didn't get into a lot of detail and I mostly just listened.  I hope they continue trusting me with their experiences.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Fun Look Like?

What do I want to BE? What do I want to DO?

Cycle of Downturns - a Poem