My Little Sunshine

As a non-tenured parking employee I don't have parking privileges anywhere near the building in which I work SO I pay to park at a hotel near my building and therefore I get to ride the hotel shuttle from my parking spot to my building.  Many times, like today, the driver will pick me up at my car when he sees me parking (SERVICE with a smile!).  I'm always grateful for that service.

Today the bus was empty when he picked me up and then I switched buses to the bus that was going to the right place (yes the bus system at the hotel is complex :)).  It was quite full for a normal morning and we still had more people to pick up.... a couple from SW MN and then a special pick-up at one of the detached portions of the hotel.

As we drove up I saw a woman and a smaller person in a wheel chair approach the bus.  The wheel chairs take a bit of extra time because they have to use the lift to get them into the bus.  AND the lift is loud - it does that back up noise the dump trucks and garbage trucks make.  I never mind the lift, but I could tell that there were a couple people on the bus were getting frustrated that we were taking so long.

This is when I met a bit of sunshine.... the little person that got on our bus with that lift was a ball of light!  She smiled at me right away.  I don't know what her affliction is, but she's not feeling it!  Her skin was jaundice and her body hunched.  Her hands were slightly disfigured and she had a special support for her neck.  On top of her head was as fedora which was a bit over-sized so you couldn't see her eyes very well, but her voice was pure joy!

I commented to her on the snow tires she put on for the ride today (her wheel chair tires were covered in snow as we got about 2 inches today).  She had the cutest laugh.  I over-heard her talking to her Mom about getting coffee, but no sugar until after a test... 'I can't have coffee without sugar.', she said... :)  She must have had to fast too because she asked me as she was taking the lift down if I knew of a good breakfast place.... I told her a couple, but told her which one I would pick and tried to think of the easiest way to explain how to get there.  She was PUMPED about the place to eat and immediately told her Mom about the place as they went into the building for her tests.

I can only imagine the life of that little one and yet I could CLEARLY feel a warm light coming from her.  It brings out the tears... thank heavens for souls like her!  May we learn to cherish them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Fun Look Like?

What do I want to BE? What do I want to DO?

Cycle of Downturns - a Poem