Ride 'em Cowboy

Since I have mentioned my Cowboy Caviar and then found a really good secondary use for it, I thought I'd post the recipe and alert you to the possibilities outside of the original scope of salsa-like chip dip.

Recipe from 2000 Better Homes and Garden 'New' Cookbook (Limited Edition so I'm SURE you don't have it.. :) HA)

Cowboy Caviar
pinto beans, orange pepper, and shallots replacement ingredients
Prep time 15 min.  
Chill (no YOU chill. :)) 12 hours
1- 15 oz can black eyed peas
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions/scallions
1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
2 TB olive oil
2 TB cider vinegar
1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers - seeded and chopped
1/4 tsp pepper
dash salt

Combine all in a bowl.  Cover and chill overnight.

Note:  I used pinto beans, shallots, orange pepper and white balsamic vinegar and it tasted yum too... Recipes are always a guide, but I don't always have exactly what they call for so I improvise. :)

Beans will sink to the bottom.  Great flavor and kick!
And THEN in the morning I used the remaining caviar in an egg bake. I put a few spoonfuls into 5 eggs whipped up and baked it in a glass pie pan for 25 min and it was REALLY good!  Top with cheese too if you wish... it will melt if you top after you take it out of the oven.

And I still have some left!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Fun Look Like?

What do I want to BE? What do I want to DO?

Cycle of Downturns - a Poem