Thus Spake Zarathustra

On a wonderfully sunny winter day in January, I set out for a hike in the woods - I call them hikes because it sounds cooler than a walk which is what it really is (still I wear hiking boots so thus a hike) - and realized that I needed to do a blog.  For one, I need to do a dump nearly daily of my experiences and thoughts throughout the day and For two, it's much faster to type than write (actually it takes me a really long time to write anymore and many times I go back and I can't read what I wrote).

THUS 'Maybe She's Mental' was born.  I will tell you why the title in another post... but for now I will just post a picture of the trail that inspired my blog....  oh lovely trail!

I found this fitting passage for the beginning of a blog... and I'm really not a philosopher- barely could spell it right there, but managed without the red squiggly.. :)


THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA
                             by Friedrich Nietzsche
                          translated by Thomas Common
PROLOGUE
                  Zarathustra's Prologue

                            1.

  WHEN Zarathustra was thirty years old, he left his home and the lake
of his home, and went into the mountains. There he enjoyed his
spirit and his solitude, and for ten years did not weary of it. But at
last his heart changed,- and rising one morning with the rosy dawn, he
went before the sun, and spake thus unto it:
  Thou great star! What would be thy happiness if thou hadst not those
for whom thou shinest!
  For ten years hast thou climbed hither unto my cave: thou wouldst
have wearied of thy light and of the journey, had it not been for
me, mine eagle, and my serpent.
  But we awaited thee every morning, took from thee thine overflow,
and blessed thee for it.
  Lo! I am weary of my wisdom, like the bee that hath gathered too
much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it.
  I would fain bestow and distribute, until the wise have once more
become joyous in their folly, and the poor happy in their riches.
  Therefore must I descend into the deep: as thou doest in the
evening, when thou goest behind the sea, and givest light also to
the nether-world, thou exuberant star!
  Like thee must I go down, as men say, to whom I shall descend.
  Bless me, then, thou tranquil eye, that canst behold even the
greatest happiness without envy!
  Bless the cup that is about to overflow, that the water may flow
golden out of it, and carry everywhere the reflection of thy bliss!
  Lo! This cup is again going to empty itself, and Zarathustra is
again going to be a man.

  Thus began Zarathustra's down-going.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Fun Look Like?

What do I want to BE? What do I want to DO?

Cycle of Downturns - a Poem