The Dirty First

Today is my late Grandmother's birthday.  I say IS because it always will be.  She always took the chance to mention that she was born on The Dirty First. :)  I ALMOST had my third child on The Dirty First, but alas, she came one day later... BUT I do believe she has a lot of qualities that are in line with her Great Grandmother whom she never met.  I like to tell stories about her though because she was such a colorful person.... unpredictable, youthful, eccentric, hard-working, independent, and strong.  Most of the time I combine all that into 'crazy', but in the most respectful way. :)

One of my favorite memories of my Grandmother, who INSISTED on being 'Nana', was her swimming attire and activities.  She always wore a one-piece swim suit with a skirt of some kind, a swim cap, and a nose plug.  Then she'd dive off the diving board with hands separated and try to swim underwater all the way to the other end, but she would inevitably make a hard left and end up swimming toward the side rather than then end.  :)  I don't ever think I saw her get to the end of the shallow end, but MAN she could hold her breath a LONG TIME.  She would also do back dives with arms separated, but didn't try the underwater swim after that. :)

She did BIG jewelry, LOUD make up, wigs, and bold clothing.... mostly polyester. :)  She is an incredible spirit!  I know she's with me today still... ESPECIALLY when I put on her jacket and go to school as a leprechaun with my pointy shoes. :)  LOVE YOU NANA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Fun Look Like?

What do I want to BE? What do I want to DO?

Cycle of Downturns - a Poem